28 He who has no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down and without walls. Proverbs 25:28 (AMPC)
Take control of your own spirit so you can be strong and victorious. There are powers such as sin and Satan seeking to invade your spirit to render weak and broken down like a city without walls. Last week we are talking about the negative impact of the flesh. When man disobeyed God, he became slave to sin. Unfortunately, no man in his flesh is immune from the rule of sin. God said sin deformed the man he created (Genesis 4:7) You recall that it was Satan who deceived the first man to disobey God. God said one thing and Satan offers the opposite. Satan always present you with sugar coated poison, He wraps evil in pleasure and deceit. Genesis 3:6 From the garden of Eden till today, Satan never stopped using alternate truth and vain promises to rule the hearts of people. So long as man is in the flesh, he is vulnerable to the devices of, Satan 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57 But beware of the old-school tactics of Satan and be fully prepared to employ the provision of God for victory through Christ Jesus. You can rule your own spirit and have dominion over sin, Satan and the flesh through Christ.” …In the world you will have tribulation; (Jesus said) but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Therefore, if you can rule your own spirit, you will become like a fortified city over evil. Jesus Christ is the one size and one stop solution to victory over sin and its debilitating consequences. To illustrate, I am going to use three words (Repent, Resist and Revive) to describe how you take control of your spirit in Christ.
- Repent: The Lord said, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” Mark 1:15 Repentance is not an isolated incident. But when you repent and believe you make a complete turn from sin and its power to Jesus and the power of redemption. Repentance is not a religious ritual but an act of faith in God. The grace, mercy and love of God is applied only when you repent and believe the gospel. (Therefore, if you have not already done so, you can do it right now) Repentance without faith is a broken spirit like a city without walls. You can safely say that believing the gospel is the evidence of repentance. This is the gospel, that you believe in Him whom God has sent. Believe in God and believe also in me Jesus said. “… as many as received Him, (Jesus) to them He gave the right to become sons of God, to those who believe in His name: John 1:12 Therefore, as children of God you have the power to rule your own spirit and be Free indeed.
- Free to confess that Jesus is Lord for with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10
- Free, without fear to love God and your neighbor as yourself.
- Freedom to forgive the sins of others and yourself. Just as Jesus did. Mark 2:5
- Free to overcome sin and Satan within and without, just like Jesus. Get you behind me Satan He said to satanic temptation. Matt. 4:10 Come out of her He said to a demon possessed child. Matt. 4:24 Lazarus come out, He said to the spirit of death and hell. John 11:43
- Free to obey or serve God with the love of God even when it hurts. Just like Jesus did. Gal. 5:5-8
- Resist: Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7 You cannot offer resistance in isolation; to effectively resist anything opposing your rule over your own spirit, you must submit to God. Your resistance must be anchored by faith in God or surrender to the will, the word and way of God. You must be on the right side before you offer complete resistance to attacks of the enemies of your soul. 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Romans 6:16
We will continue from here next week. Meanwhile you can rule or begin to rule your own spirit: Repent and believe Jesus today. Or yield yourself to God and resist the devil where you may find his influences in your life. You can do it because Jesus did it, therefore in Christ by faith, we have victory and are more than conquerors and overcomer through Christ who loves us and gave himself for us. Next week we shall conclude the third part of this illustration. (Revival) God bless you, stay fit, well and revived in the name of Jesus.